Re: dpkg development and gettext

Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 02:40:13PM -0600, Raja R Harinath wrote:
>
> [dpkg]
> > Yes it can be built from source, as long as the source contains the
> > `intl/' subdir.  If you did `gettextize -f', then you will have it.
>
> It isn't source then, is it? (Source in this context meaning what the author
> maintains)

I guess we have to be clearer here.

The author can and probably does do `gettextize -f'.  Take for example,
GNU fileutils, GNU shellutils, GNU tar, &c.

The Debian maintainer doesn't have to run `gettextize -f'.

In the case of `dpkg' however, the author is also the Debian maintainer,
(or I think so).  So, which hat he puts on when he does `gettextize -f'
determines whether it is source, or whether it a Debian addition.

Simple solution: He puts on his "author" hat, and calls it source.

- Hari