Re: dpkg development and gettext

On Sun, Feb 01, 1998 at 01:07:26PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> It is very simple, before you upload dpkg you type these commands (remove
> them from the build script too)
>   autoconf
>   autoheader
>   gettextize -f
>   libtoolize -f
>   automake -a

That's what dpkg does at the moment.

> This is what all other upstream sources do and I think it should be okay
> to include the gettext stuff inside the tarball of dpkg.  This way dpkg
> does not need gettext, automake, autoconf, or libtool to build.

It may not need any of those to compile from the half-compiled form it's
supplied in, which is all that's needed for it to be compiled for other
architectures. However, it can't be compiled from _source_ without something
that isn't in the main debian distribution, which I don't think is good
enough.