Re: kernel headers---FAQ

And thus spake Avery Pennarun, on Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 09:32:00PM -0500:
> - unpacking the kernel into /usr/src/linux breaks exactly one thing:
>   the kernel-headers install script, which works perfectly and then
>   returns a non-zero exit status because it can't symlink to
>   /usr/src/linux.  This means that kernel-headers can never change to the
>   "installed" state in dpkg, and that's why I have to --force packages not
>   to depend on kernel-headers.  Since kernel-headers really _IS_ installed,
>   these --force'd packages work flawlessly.  I develop kernel modules and
>   large applications: I know when libc6-dev isn't working.
>
> - No one will ever read the Debian-specific documentation because there is
>   lots of other documentation around (HOWTO's etc) which directly contradict
>   it.
>
> - I don't know what the upstream kernel source is adopting, but I doubt it
>   will make any automatic symlinks to /usr/src/linux.
>
> - kernel-header's insistence upon installing the /usr/src/linux symlink is
>   arbitrary and unnecessary.  I don't care if it wants to create a symlink
>   to /usr/src/linux if the symlink/directory doesn't already exist, but it's
>   completely pointless to require the link:  it only breaks things.
>
> My apologies if I sound angry.  I feel like I'm talking to a void.

What's the big deal? If you don't want to use the debian kernel packaging
system, don't - but don't assume we want to hear about it. If you're handling
your own kernel source and headers, just use the equivs package to mark the
kernel headers as supplied, and handle your own symlinks.

Sheesh.

--
Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl@nyx.net>   That is not dead which can eternal lie,
     <fnord@cosanostra.net>      And with strange aeons even death may die.