Re: interactive sound configuration utility

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> I understand that the modularized sound drivers are now standard
> on Linux 2.0.32 and above. Given that, I think it would be good
> if we had a setup utility for sound, like the one provided
> with OSS/Linux.

Hmm, I didn't know this was in 2.0.32.  I'll have to look again.

I don't seen it in 2.0.33.  It is in the later 2.1.7x series, but they
break dhcpcd.  I'd like to get my sound chip working properly (I have
a hack that makes it work), but I'm waiting for modular sound drivers.

> Redhat have a sndconfig to go with the modularization patches
> (which they sponsored according to their web site). The latest
> sources were only in RPM format, the tar.gz was old, but I managed
> to battle with rpm long enough to extract them. (Conspiracy
> theories anyone?)

It's not that hard.  You "install" the source package with "rpm", and
pick up the pieces in /usr/src/redhat.

> Anyway it seems that sndconfig just probes for PnP cards with
> isapnptools' pnpdump and configures them, and only supports SB
> cards anyway. It'd be nice to have (I may work on a package(*))
> but it isn't exactly what I want. Does anyone know of anything
> like this somebody is working on, or are there people interested
> in working on it?

I'm interested in working on getting the YM715 chip working well.  It
is the one that comes on the Intel AL440LX "Atlanta" motherboard. It
needs better driver support because of IRQ sharing and weird names
for mixer device, and it needs isapnp (or a kernel-space equivalent)
to configure it.

> (*) Their manual page says that sndconfig configures sound on
> the Red Hat Linux system. Is it ok to change this if the software
> is GPL? Otherwise it would look strange.

If it's GPL.  And Red Hat says any software they write themselves will
be GPL'd.  Aside from this, we should try to keep ours as close to
theirs as possible so we can pass improvements back to them.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu