Re: please upgrade your packages to current standards

dark@xs4all.nl (Richard Braakman) writes:

> However, I don't know the history behind this.  What is the reason for
> not including Section and Priority by default?

Ian and I discussed it when I first started maintaining the archive.

dselect always takes the section and priority from the Packages file.
If it's not there, it tries to take it from the package itself.  It's
nice, but not crucial, if the data is in the package so that the
package shows up in the right place even without a current Packages
file.

Accordingly, we decided that including the info in the package was
optional, but if it was included, it had to match what was in the
Packages file.  Kai's strategy is reasonable in this case.

BTW, dpkg-scanpackages(1) explains the format of the override files
used to put things in the right place in the Packages files.

Guy