Re: perl5.004 for bo

On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 08:18:22AM -0600, David Morton wrote:

> I am quite upset with the fact that no update for perl has
> been included in the "stable" release, currently named bo, I think.
>
> A security bug in suid-perl has been known to exist in 5.003, as you
> have noticed on your security page.  However, the IRC people
> told me that 5.004 only existed in hamm.  This is *NOT* acceptable.

Please file a bug report against the perl package.

I the meantime you can try the packages I have compiled for
a much simplier reason:
ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/debian/hamm-files-for-bo-systems/perl*

> secure.  (As well as some features of 5.004 to compile MySQL)
> A production machine has just been rendered useless due to this.
> (No not a breach of security, but lack of functionality)

Why not just grab the perl 5.004 source and just compile it?
That's what I've done iirc.

> I wasted 5 hours yesterday trying to get 5.004 installed, but to no
> avail.  If Debian is interested in keeping commercial use
> of Linux, this kind of issue needs to be fixed ASAP.

This sounds quite unfriendly for me.  Who pays us that we
*have to* update the packages?  I'd appreciate any hint for
security fixes or things that we had forgotton (we're only
humans, you know?) but I get offended if people are telling
me what I _have to_ do in my spare time.

Again: Please file a bugreport against perl so that a new
perl will be installed in bo alias stable.

Regards

	Joey

 /                            Erfahrung ist eine nützliche Sache /
/ Leider macht man sie immer erst kurz nachdem man sie brauchte /