Re: please upgrade your packages to current standards

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Richard Braakman wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > > Do we want all packages to include the Section and Priority fields?
> >
> > Probably.
> > >
> > > If so, then I think it is far more effective to change dpkg's default
> > > behaviour so that it does include these fields, rather than requiring
> > > an explicit flag -isp.
> > >
> > Dpkg can't put them in if the information is not available in the control
> > file.
>
> But it doesn't put them in, even if the information is in the control
> file, unless you give it the -isp flag.

You are correct. I was confused...the gmp2 package includes these fields
in the "package" paragraph of the master control file, and they are also
in the packages control file. Other packages of mine, like diff only have
these fields in the "source" paragraph, and they don't appear in the
package. I mistakenly assumed that this was the only difference, but the
gmp2 package, on closer inspection, does use the -isp flag with
gencontrol, so that was the "real" reason.

I believe that if these fields are provided in the "package" paragraph,
that dpkg should automatically include them in the control fields for the
package.

On the other hand, what's 4 characters in the rules file cost?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-