Re: please upgrade your packages to current standards

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I believe that if these fields are provided in the "package" paragraph,
> that dpkg should automatically include them in the control fields for the
> package.

So do I.  I don't see any reason why it should not.

> On the other hand, what's 4 characters in the rules file cost?

Well... I can think of a couple of costs :-)

  - All maintainers have to go check their rules files and add this flag.
  - Inevitably, many will forget or won't notice, so someone will have
    to spend time filing bug reports and chasing after maintainers.
    (Consider how long it's taking to get the changelog and copyright
     files named right in all packages)
  - It will be one more thing that new maintainers can get wrong about
    a package.

Richard Braakman