Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

On 6 Jan 1998, Rob Browning wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > I will also never feel comfortable with an automatic process editing my
> > lilo.config file. I am set up to boot several linux partitions as well as
> > a dos partition and a loop-root system. I am much happier editing that
> > beast myself thankyou ;-)
>
> Dale, I think you must misunderstand how kernel-package works.  It
> never touches your lilo.conf file.  You just have to have entries
> pointing to /vmlinuz and /vmlinux.old, and then it just runs lilo in
> the postinst.  All of kernel-package's work wrt lilo is confined to
> updating the /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz-old pointers.

Which means that it will not work at all with my configuration.
My lilo.conf calls out kernels explicitly from /boot where I can keep as
many, or as few kernel images as I please, file system size permitting.

> I think other people have sufficiently covered the other advantages of
> kernel-package, but I'll add that your suggested solution of just
> using kernel-source doesn't work if you want to use *today's* kernel
> today.

I don't see why not? Simply take the debian diffs and apply them against
*today's* kernel and you are off and running. The kernel file organization
hasn't changed in ages. (I hope that doesn't mean that someone will change
it simply because it is old and stable ;-)

> Also, I've witnessed someone else, who doesn't want to use
> kernel-package (which is fine) leave their system unbootable by
> forgetting to run lilo after a manual install.  That's impossible if
> you use the .debs.

Nothing is impossible ;-)

This is clearly a "different strokes" issue. I'm sure there will be two
sides to this discussion for the indefinite future.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-