Re: cron jobs more often than daily

On 5 Jan 1998, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Christian> The solution presented in 3.3.7 is that the "owner" of
>     Christian> the conffile (cron in that case) provides a utility
>     Christian> (like install-info, for example) through which other
>     Christian> packages can register and remove cron jobs.
>
>  Perhaps the "/etc/crontab" shouldn't be a conffile; but created by
> the installation scripts?

Since /etc/crontab is actually a conffile (no matter if you tag it as such
or not) this would be a "dirty" hack around our policy.

Fact is, that the "cron" package, the local sysadmin, and possibly other
packages modify the /etc/crontab file. However, dpkg only controls
modification between the sysadmin and _one_ package ("cron" here). I
really think the cron package should provide a script where other packages
can register cron jobs.

I'll file a bug report.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/