Re: autmake & debian? (was: Re: cron jobs more often than daily)

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 03:02:38PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >
> > Thus, the use of debstd is depreciated. Note, that I've removed debstd
> > from all of my packages lately and would like to see others doing the same
> > thing. As soon as we have the macro-utility (was it called automake?) set
> > up, we should consider removing debstd.
>
> Isn't automake the GNU program for using with autoconf ?
>
> automake creates Makefile.in's out of Makefile.am's. The Makefile.in's will
> be processed by configure (which itself is created by autoconf out of
> configure.in) to Makefiles.
>
> Automake does support the GNU standard, a less restrict one, and (perhaps)
> the gnits standard (the new GNU standard). Will there be automake support
> for Debian packages ?

(BTW, the discussion about this was in mid Oct 97.)

The idea is to create the debian/rules file by a macro processor. (Since
automake is used to create Makefiles and debian/rules is a Makefile,
someone suggested to use it. However, doubts have been presented that it
does not fit exactly to our purposes. Someone would have to do some
experiments on this. If it doesn't fit, we can use or write another macro
generator.)

This would have the advantage that every action would be included
explicitely in the debian/rules file instead of hidden into some
utilities.

Furthermore, since debian/rules would be generated by the maintainer only,
everyone else can recompile the package and get the same results. (With
debstd this is one problem. You need exactly the same debstd version than
the maintainer had to get the same package.)

It would be nice if we could find one (or more) volunteers to do some
experiments on that issue.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/