Re: cron jobs more often than daily

schwarz@monet.m.isar.de (Christian Schwarz)  wrote on 05.01.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980105200900.17436C-100000@monet>:

> On 5 Jan 1998, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> >  Perhaps the "/etc/crontab" shouldn't be a conffile; but created by
> > the installation scripts?
>
> Since /etc/crontab is actually a conffile (no matter if you tag it as such
> or not) this would be a "dirty" hack around our policy.

Nope, that would be the correct solution. Conffiles modified by scripts
are the dirty hacks, because dpkg's conffile mechanism isn't set up to
cope with them.

The packages those files and scripts belong to don't have anything to do
with it. If the policy manual says otherwise, that's a bug.

> Fact is, that the "cron" package, the local sysadmin, and possibly other
> packages modify the /etc/crontab file. However, dpkg only controls
> modification between the sysadmin and _one_ package ("cron" here). I

Wrong. Dpkg only controls modification between sysadmin and package
maintainer; _no_ additional script changes work right.

> really think the cron package should provide a script where other packages
> can register cron jobs.

_And_ not keep the file as a conffile, _and_ not keep it in the .deb.

MfG Kai