Re: dhelp 0.2 - a online help system

On  1 Gen, Jim Pick wrote:

> fog@perosa.alpcom.it writes:
>
>> I like it but...
>
> I like it too.
>
>> 1) How about dwww? (Yes, I know dwww needs a web server...)
>
> I think I'll add support for .dhelp files to dwww too.

Oh, great!

>> 2) I really dont like to have 2/3/... methods of building indexes
>> of documentation installed in the debian system. What about integrating
>> all that stuff? (menu, dwww, dhelp, etc...)
>
> I agree - we should eventually have only have one index.
>
> I've been working on yet another way of building an index, but I'm been
> very slow working on it.
>
>> 3) The policy says the preferred doc format is HTML (fine) but
>> it says nothing about how to access it. Any ideas before we poor
>> developer have to write a dozen of different conf files to support
>> all that new help systems? (menu entries, .dwww-index, .dhelp, etc...)
>
> I'd consider all documentation menu systems "experimental" at this
> point, so I wouldn't worry about it yet.  Just support a particular
> menu style if you feel like playing with it.
>
> FWIW, the menu system I'm working on was going to be SGML/DSSSL based,
> so Marco's .dhelp menu format is perfect for that.  I'll be able to
> use the .dhelp format as input.
>
> Short term (in the next few days), I'm also going to enhance the
> dwww menu-package based menus.  I'll see if I can write a .dhelp to
> "menu" converter.  That way, package authors can write a single
> .dhelp file, and support all the menu-building packages (dhelp,
> menu, and dwww-next-generation).
>
> The next dwww should be ready by Sunday, at least.

I'll surely try it, and i'll give a try at dhelp. My only concern was
about incompatibilities; as now not much packages support the dwww
or menu systems and I thought that a new system will stop developers to
add documentation entries.

I can't wait for the new SGML based system... ciao.

* Federico Di Gregorio  |  /      *-=$< ;-) TeX Wizard?            *
* Debian developer!     | / -1    pgp: finger fog@perosa.alpcom.it *
* <friend of penguins>  |/        try http://www.debian.org        *
******************DE 9E B2 75 B4 F6 CC 5B  C3 D5 71 51 04 AB F3 B2**