Re: dhelp 0.2 - a online help system

fog@perosa.alpcom.it writes:

> I like it but...

I like it too.

> 1) How about dwww? (Yes, I know dwww needs a web server...)

I think I'll add support for .dhelp files to dwww too.

> 2) I really dont like to have 2/3/... methods of building indexes
> of documentation installed in the debian system. What about integrating
> all that stuff? (menu, dwww, dhelp, etc...)

I agree - we should eventually have only have one index.

I've been working on yet another way of building an index, but I'm been
very slow working on it.

> 3) The policy says the preferred doc format is HTML (fine) but
> it says nothing about how to access it. Any ideas before we poor
> developer have to write a dozen of different conf files to support
> all that new help systems? (menu entries, .dwww-index, .dhelp, etc...)

I'd consider all documentation menu systems "experimental" at this
point, so I wouldn't worry about it yet.  Just support a particular
menu style if you feel like playing with it.

FWIW, the menu system I'm working on was going to be SGML/DSSSL based,
so Marco's .dhelp menu format is perfect for that.  I'll be able to
use the .dhelp format as input.

Short term (in the next few days), I'm also going to enhance the
dwww menu-package based menus.  I'll see if I can write a .dhelp to
"menu" converter.  That way, package authors can write a single
.dhelp file, and support all the menu-building packages (dhelp,
menu, and dwww-next-generation).

The next dwww should be ready by Sunday, at least.

Cheers,

 - Jim