Re: dhelp 0.2 - a online help system

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998 fog@perosa.alpcom.it wrote:

> > Today I've released the latest version of my HTML online help system for
> > Debian. Bugs reports are welcome :).
>
> I like it but...
>
> 1) How about dwww? (Yes, I know dwww needs a web server...)
> 2) I really dont like to have 2/3/... methods of building indexes
> of documentation installed in the debian system. What about integrating
> all that stuff? (menu, dwww, dhelp, etc...)
> 3) The policy says the preferred doc format is HTML (fine) but
> it says nothing about how to access it. Any ideas before we poor
> developer have to write a dozen of different conf files to support
> all that new help systems? (menu entries, .dwww-index, .dhelp, etc...)

We are aware of this problem. The different menu systems (menu, dwww,
dhelp, etc.) all have their advantages and disadvantages so I guess they
will all stay around for a while.

The solution is to provide a unique interface where all packages can
register their documentation files. This interface programm will than
support the different menu systems, depending on which are installed. This
way, the local sysadmin can choose whether he/she prefers dhelp, dwww,
or both, etc.

I'm currently working on a draft for this interface. It looks like we're
going to implement that together with a new "Documentation Policy" for
Debian 2.1.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/