Re: Re^2: dhelp 0.2 - a online help system

On 4 Jan 1998, Marco Budde wrote:

> Am 03.01.98 schrieb schwarz # monet.m.isar.de ...
>
> Moin Christian!
>
> CS> We are aware of this problem. The different menu systems (menu, dwww,
> CS> dhelp, etc.) all have their advantages and disadvantages so I guess they
> CS> will all stay around for a while.
>
> If you know a disadvantage of dhelp please send me an email. I'm really
> interessed in good ideas.
>
> CS> The solution is to provide a unique interface where all packages can
> CS> register their documentation files. This interface programm will than
> CS> support the different menu systems, depending on which are installed. This
>
> But is that necessary? We could write a simple .dhelp to .dwww converter
> or dwww can use the /var/lib/dhelp/dbase database. That's no problem. I
> think, we should use this help system in Debian 2.0. Some other
> distributions already use such systems (for example SuSE).

You should probably not refer to SUSE here. They are know for their quick
and _dirty_ solutions ;-)

> I've added dhelp support in debstd last night. It's really no problem to
> add dhelp support to your packages.

Please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against packages supporting
dhelp. However, dhelp is not our "official" system by now (nor is dwww) so
we can't force everyone to use it by policy.

> CS> I'm currently working on a draft for this interface. It looks like we're
> CS> going to implement that together with a new "Documentation Policy" for
> CS> Debian 2.1.
>
> Why should we develop another system? We have a working system: dhelp. If
> we need new features, I can add them.

We need another system anyways to convert between different documentation
formats on demand. Since every online documentation has to be registered
to that system, we shouldn't we do the "menu" registration through the
same system? Everything else looks like doing the same work a few times...

I promise that we'll start discussing and implement the new doc-policy
and all this when "hamm" is out of the door.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/