Re: What warrants a non-maintainer release number?

On 3 Jan 1998, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> > By changing the dependencies you changed the source package before,
> > or?
>
> Technically, no.  The dependencies are build by dpkg-shlibdeps, so for
> all intents and purposes, the *only* difference between the old
> package and the new was the things totally external to the package and
> sources that were installed at the time.

Oh, I see. But if I recall correctly, the old package was already uploaded
to master (but stuck in incoming). And then the new package (with same
source package--but different binary package) has been uploaded using the
same version. This is bad since dselect/dpkg will not know that something
changed.

Anyways, we are not talking about that situation. This is past now. But
we should talk about some guidelines that we can include in our
documentation (this should go into the Developer's Reference I think) to
avoid these troubles next time.

How about this:

   ``Whenever the source package is changed WRT to the last uploaded
   version, its version number has to be incremented. In addition, if
   the source package is not changed but the binary package changed
   (because it has been recompiled in another environment), the version
   number has to be incremented too (this is, the source package has
   to be changed and uploaded again) to make sure dpkg/dselect recognizes
   the changed package.''

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com