Re: need libc5 non-maintainer upgrade

bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> Actually, I'm not sure there is a problem with libc5-altdev. There
> definitely is a dependency clash between libc5 and libc6, which
> David Engel thinks we should patch by producing an upgrade for
> libc5. This will have to be installed before hamm. It's not yet
> clear to me that we can make this automatic with pre-depends or not.

I think the advantage of this patch is that it gives an upgrade path
that doesn't involve first removing all -dev packages.  The conversion
from libc5 development to libc6 development can then be delayed until
the (tricky) libc6 install has been dealt with.

I don't think dselect is capable of handling the entire bo->hamm
upgrade automatically, no matter what dependency information we put in
the package files.  It would need significant improvements to its
handling of versioned conflicts and dependencies, and a way to specify
more intricate upgrade sequences.

I finished compiling libc5 with David Engel's patch.  I have put the
results in ~dark/libc5/ on master.  I haven't tested it much, but I
did install it on my own system and it didn't break my smail.  I've
compiled a libc5 hello-world program with the libc5-altdev package.
The other packages are completely untested; someone with a bo system
will have to do that.

I'm going to bed now, so I'll leave the rest to you :-)

Richard Braakman