Re: i586 debian port?

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 08:32:37AM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:

> I also just realized that this would split the development community. Now,
> not only would you need an i586 porting team but also an i386 porting team,
> because most developers in debian would be using one or the other to build
> their packages.

Well, we will be needing an i386 porting team soon anyway.  (Actually, we
needed one months or years ago already.) More and more developers are doing
primary work on other platforms.  I, for one, do my development solely on
Alpha and build i386 versions of the packages when I can.  When my last
remaining Intel-based server disappears, my couple dozen or so packages will
fail to be updated on i386 unless some i386 porters start to pop up.

I am against the original idea (i586 port) for other reasons, but I do feel
that this is an area that i386 developers need to address.

Also note that the i586 architecture has been obsolete for years now, and
Intel keeps trying to replace it with something 64-bit, so I don't think
such a port to i586 would have a lifespan of more than a few releases.