Re: i586 debian port?

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 07:59:42AM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> I was just wondering, has there been talk of doing a debian GNU/Linux i586
> port via pentium optimizing compilers?
>
> 	This should be a fairly simple project (involving mostly
> downloading/building packages with a different gcc) - it would also be the
> first project of its kind.
Simple yes. Reasonable no. The amount of space that debian's ports take
up as is on ftp.debian and it's mirrors is steadily increasing already.
I don't think an optimized port is worth the extra space, as well as
having some one/people maintain it with current packages.

> Also, there are so many gcc's around. Can someone make clear this
> distinction to me? As far as I know, pgcc and egcs are separate projects to
> modify gcc and g++ 2.7.2.3 (I don't know g++'s numbering). Where goes gcc
> 2.8 come in? How is its purpose different from 2.7?

I think you can probably get the best info on this from the respective
web sites for the 2 projects. IIRC, egcs is just generally optimized
for all architectures while pgcc is directed at just pentium
optimizations.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org