Re: i586 debian port?

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 12:00:25PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 07:59:42AM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> > I was just wondering, has there been talk of doing a debian GNU/Linux i586
> > port via pentium optimizing compilers?
> >
> > 	This should be a fairly simple project (involving mostly
> > downloading/building packages with a different gcc) - it would also be the
> > first project of its kind.
> Simple yes. Reasonable no. The amount of space that debian's ports take
> up as is on ftp.debian and it's mirrors is steadily increasing already.
> I don't think an optimized port is worth the extra space, as well as
> having some one/people maintain it with current packages.

I also just realized that this would split the development community. Now,
not only would you need an i586 porting team but also an i386 porting team,
because most developers in debian would be using one or the other to build
their packages.
	Well, it was an idea, but... ;)

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....