Re: An old idea, brought back to life

Previously Anthony Towns wrote:
> Having Apt check that the dependencies are okay and not presenting anything
> stupid to dpkg would go some way to solving this, I suppose.

We should not present dpkg with something it will refuse anyway,

> > > The new Apt UI may have some support for this, but I'm not sure. (I'm
> > > not quite sure what the UI-doc means when it discusses this functionality)
> > What exactly don't you understand? Perhaps I can clear it up..
>
> Okay. What seemed to me the best way for handling partial upgrading was
> to do something like:
>
> 	default-distribution: slink
>
> 	libc6: default
> 	libstdc++-2.9: default
> 	libgtk1.1: slink
> 	foobar: unstable
>
> ...so that you could say "I want to follow slink, but I want the very latest
> version of foobar, oh, and libgtk1.1 is different in potato, don't move away
> from the slink one". Then apt would do clever things like, if foobar depends
> on a later version of libc6 than that in slink, it'll just upgrade libc6,
> but if it requires a later version of libgtk1.1, it'll just use an older
> version of foobar (either what you've got, or the version from slink,
> whichever's more recent).
>
> Then, if you decide to set foobar back to "default", Apt should probably
> notice that your installed version of foobar is more recent than your
> requested version and at least give you the option of downgrading it,
> and anything else that was forced to upgrade because of it.
>
> So what I guess my question is:

> 	Apt supports a default distribution to follow, and lets you
> 	override that choice for various packages, right?

Yes, it will get the option to `Glue' a package to a distribution. So
what you can do is glue all package to stable, and don't glue packages
for which you always want to have the latest version.

> 	What are the real choices for the above? Can you say "follow
> 	slink" or do you have to say "follow frozen", or is there another,
> 	better way of dealing with that?

You say `always use a version from this distribution'

> 	What does Apt do about conflicting suggestions (as in foobar
> 	requires a more recent version of bazquux)? Can Apt be arranged
> 	so in one case it upgrades both, and in another it keeps both
> 	at the old version?

Depends on how you tag things as glued. If a conflict is introduced
since Apt will try to upgrade one package you will have to resolve this
manually.

> 	What support does Apt (the UI) have for downgrading? Will there
> 	be a dist-downgrade, or does that require a smarter dpkg before
> 	it's safe enough?

I was hoping to add something like that by making the `upgrade' command
be more specific, so you can say `move to this distribution' (the
command is actually called Process), but Jason apparently does not want
to do that..

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl