Re: fixing up /usr/doc

Previously Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Then we should have a tree called
>   /usr/doc--we-really-mean-it/

Modifying /usr/doc is not the solution. The problem here is that it is
hard for users to locate documentation for packages. /usr/doc is just
where we store all information about packages, including changelogs,
copyright and documentation.

The real solution is to register documentation with a documentation
system such as dwww or dhelp. That also shows a problem: there are
multiple systems. Luckily there is doc-base, which allows you to
register documentation only once and have it show up in both dhelp and
dwww.

For manpages and infodocuments we already have a lot of tools to view
them (man, info, man2www, info2html, tkinfo, gnome-help, etc.)

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl