Re: fixing up /usr/doc

Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:
> Basically, you shouldn't be looking in usr/doc/packagename unless you've
> been directed to do so by other documentation -- and that should tell
> you *which* directory, so you don't have to hunt around.

     False!  According to debian policy, /usr/doc/ _is_ the proper
location for supplemental documentation, as well as for the copyright
and changelog files.  Upstream READMEs, README.debian, and
../examples/ are  very important documentation that has no other
assigned location.

     When I install a package that I am not familiar with, I look in
/usr/doc first.  /usr/doc/ppp is an excellent example of the value of
the /usr/doc/package-name directory.

Bob
--   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>
  |_) (_) |_)      Palm City, FL  USA    PGP Key ID: A8E40EB9