Re: fixing up /usr/doc

Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:
> > Basically, you shouldn't be looking in usr/doc/packagename unless
> > you've been directed to do so by other documentation -- and that
> > should tell you *which* directory, so you don't have to hunt around.

>      False!  According to debian policy, /usr/doc/ _is_ the proper
> location for supplemental documentation

*Supplemental!*  Not for the main documentation.  Policy also says that
a package MUST contain a man page.  The only required supplemental
documentation is copyright and changelog.

If there *is* supplemental documentation of importance, and the man page
doesn't mention that fact, then I'd say that the man page is inadequate!

>      When I install a package that I am not familiar with, I look in
> /usr/doc first.

That's you -- me, I really hate having to go to /usr/doc for basic
information on how to use a package, and it annoys me no end when I'm
forced to do so.  Browsing /usr/doc is, as the other fellow noted, often
painful and usually fruitless.  I think that expecting people to rely on
/usr/doc is an extremely bad idea.  We have man pages, info pages, and
dwww.  If we can't get important documentation into a format recognized
by one of those, then we're really failing in our task of creating an
easy to learn, easy to use system.