Re: Mod-perl, Apache, and Unresolved Symbols...

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 08:08:44PM -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I would greatly appreciate a URL as to exactly where this
> apache-common package, version 1.3.3, as I looked almost all over
> ftp.debian.org and a few mirrors to no avail. Also the package
> listings on the debian web site kept turning up version 1.3.0, even
> when I tried to follow the deps on libapache-mod-perl.

it's in both slink and potato:

.../debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/web/apache-common_1.3.3-4.deb
or
.../debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/web/apache-common_1.3.3-4.deb

> > i have had apache and mod_perl and related packages from unstable
> > installed and running perfectly for months with no problems.
>
> 	Well, that is promising! I still have hope now! :)

:-)

> > apt will figure out what other updated/new packages are required by
> > these and ask you if you want to install them too. it will also offer to
> > remove any old packages which conflict with the new versions (if any).
> > apt is cool.
>
> Been meaning to try out apt, just not had time yet. All I have had
> experience with is dselect which I have mixed reactions to, but not
> wanting to start anything, I will not say anything more. :)

it's definitely worth trying.

apt isn't a substitute for dselect, it is complimentary to it.

i still use dselect for full system upgrades (i like the control it
gives me over what gets upgraded and what doesn't...e.g. Hold and
Unhold). i use Apt as the install method.

i also use apt to install/upgrade individual packages. it's a lot easier
to type "apt-get install foo" than it is to find the package, download
it (or cd to the right dir of my mirror :-), and then run "dpkg -iBE"

craig

--
craig sanders