[HELP NEEDED] xdm/wdm takes vt2 upon starting

Hi,

        I'm having a rather strange problem with xdm/wdm. Upon
 starting, it takes vt2, not vt7, as it should. In /etc/inittab I
 have:

 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

 So the first virtual console available is 7. After boot, [xw]dm
 starts, and takes vt2 (I switch back to vt1, and then to vt2, and
 [xw]dm shows up). If I do /etc/init.d/xdm stop, and then
 /etc/init.d/xdm start, it shows up on vt7.

 This is problematic, because after going to vt1 and back to xdm, the
 keyboard is locked... not exactly, I can still use MagicSysRq to
 unmount filesystems and reboot -- killing everything doesn't seem to
 work, not even after unraw.

 I have also noticed that going back to vt1, killing xdm and switching
 to vt2 leaves me with garbage and a *password* (not username) prompt
 there (vt2).

 Ideas?

                                        Marcelo