Re: package splits

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> [ snipped descriptions of severity levels ]
> [...]
>
> I just say that the X set of packages is "unsuitable for release" if it
> does not have the proper recommends fields.

Clarification:

Of course I agree that if *nobody* uses tmw, then the xbase package does
not need to recommend it, but how do we know that *nobody* is using tmw,
for example?

That's why I think that we should always use "Recommends" as a general rule.

I suppose that in cases like this, we should compare two different
annoyances:

1) The annoyance of a user who upgrades from hamm to slink and see
that he loses functionality because of having installed the "same"
packages (those packages are now smaller and part of their functionality
is now in other packages).

2) The annoyance of someone who is unable to remove the unneeded packages
after the split.

If annoyance 1) is greater than 2), I would use a Recommends.
If annoyance 2) is greater than 1), I would use a Suggests.

--
 "6ecab4a6d1fc855df03f908a0110c97f" (a truly random sig)