Re: package splits

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> James R. Van Zandt wrote:
> > Is there general agreement that I should file "critical" bugs on
> > packages that do not at least "recommend" the new packages, as
> > suggested by Santiago Vila?
>
> I don't think this justifies a critical bug report.  Please only
> file normal ones.  If you feel that the bug is important please
> get in touch with the proper maintainers so they can decide if
> they direct the next upload to frozen or not.

Please, do not misuse the word "critical" once again.

Severities have names according to these descriptions:

   critical
          makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole system)
          break, or causes serious data loss, or introduces a security
          hole on systems where you install the package.

   grave
          makes the package in question unuseable or mostly so, or causes
          data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
          accounts of users who use the package.

   important
          any other bug which makes the package unsuitable for release.

I do not say that it "makes unrelated software on the system (or the
whole system) break, or causes serious data loss".

I just say that the X set of packages is "unsuitable for release" if it
does not have the proper recommends fields.

--
 "ad99326d97382672d7244b00b5e1a019" (a truly random sig)