Re: Debian violates GPL?

> While in the process of getting Debian to work on the UltraSparc and
> update all of the out of date packages, I came across a rather
> alarming problem: there a quite a few binary packages in binary-sparc
> (and binary-*) that don't have source.  One example is
> "glibc-pre2.1-2.0.100.orig.tar.gz", which disappeared from potato when
> "glibc-pre2.1-2.0.105.orig.tar.gz" was uploaded (slink has an older
> version).
>
> The sparc distribution has 300 packages that are older versions than
> the ones in slink which means that the source and/or diff files are
> missing.  This would violate the GPL.

Actually, the GPL states that the source code has to be available.  It
doesn't actually say it has to be on an FTP site or on CD, so long as
we could point to the original source elsewhere or send it to whoever
were to ask.

> Brian, is sparc frozen?  I need to do an NMU of glibc-pre2.1 to get
> Netscape to work. And I need to compile and upload the current slink
> version of egcs (et al) to get C++ to link afterwords.  The egcs in the
> sparc distribution is older than the intel one.

It is supposed to be frozen, yes.  I haven't actually checked it it
appears under "slink" or not, though.

> What is the proceedure on doing uploads of major components like this?
> Is there a leader for the sparc distribution?  Is this a bad time?  (I
> need these components in before I upload recompiled versions of those
> 300 packages.)

Release is still about a month away, so go ahead and upload a new version
if you wish.

					Brian