Election Dates

There have been enough questions concerning our first Constitutional Leader
Election that I will repeat the key dates and how it will progress.

1)  Nominations opened December 2nd.  Nominations will be closed in three
weeks, December 23rd.

[We have a decision to make.  Do we want the Leader's
term to be January to December (which will shorten the 1999 Leader's term by a
month or so) or do we stick ridgidly to the 1 year term and have a Leader's
term from February to January?]

2)  From December 23rd to January 13th, the floor will be opened to
campaigning.  During this time, no more nominations will be accepted.

[The constitution states clearly that the second set of three weeks is used
for campaigning.  It is, however, vague on whether campaigning is allowed
during the nomination period.  Since the the constitution does address
campaining (saying to use weeks 4-6) and since the constitution does not state
that campaigning should be conducted during weeks 1-3, I understand it to mean
that campaigning should not be conducted during weeks 1-3, the nomination
period.  That is my interpretation and my reasoning behind it.]

3)  From January 13th to February 3rd, the polls will be opened and people get
to register their preference.  There should be no open campaigning during this
time for the same reason that there is no campaigning during weeks 1-3.

This information can be found at http://vote.debian.org/1999/vote_0001
I put what I can think of that's relevent and I'm open to suggestions for other
things to add.

Feel free to direct any questions to me, also.

- Darren Benham
  Project Secretary

* http://benham.net/index.html                                     <><  *