Re: debian list summaries

On 14.12.1998., at 22:42, rainer@rainer.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de wrote:

>In some newsgroups it is common, that everybody who starts a thread
>provides a summary after some time (including public and appropriate
>private responses). We could apply this habit in our list. Everybody
>starting a thread with more than let's say five (or is ten better)
>the workload among many writers/readers. People who have time to start
>a thread must have the time to summarize it!

That is true - people who discuss will know best how to make
a summary.
But there are problems. It puts too much of a burden on a
lazy/time-lacking poster. And we can't help it (you can't
ban people because of that).

Also, there are often posts that are just questions, and people
make vast amounts of answers, that usually go 500 miles
off-topic. Why should the original poster be obligated to read
every message that only has the same subject as his?

I suggest we do this: when one week passess from the last
posting on devel-announce, or a thread ends, somebody has
to ask for or make a summary on that thread (if it has
developed enough). The summary then passed to the
one who posts to devel-announce, to be merged with
other summaries, and posted there.