Re: Release-critical Bugreport for December 13, 1998

Sorry I did not reply several messages back...

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 08:48:22PM -0800, Oscar Levi wrote:
<snip>
> > > dupload is a package for developers; this cannot be considered *release*
> > > critical, since it does not affect ordinary users.

A bug is release critical FOR THAT PACKAGE..
You may wish to go over the documentation covering bug severity levels
and the definition of a release critical bug.

> > Sorry, I disagree. Anything that leads to possible loss of data can be
> > release critical. It'd be just as false to say "tex is only used by
> > academians, a bug in it that deletes your thesis cannot be considered
> > release critical". Any way, there are 400 debian develpers, this bug can
> > affect a lot of people.

It really does not matter how many people it affects, it affects all who
use the package, as such it qualifys..

> Then fix the bug or pull the package.  I, too, think this should not
> delay release of slink.

We are not at the point where it would be delaying the release, nor is
it anyone's choice except the release manager and the maintainer of the
package..

> There is no loss of data if the program malfunctions.  This is a
> benign failure which the conscientious developer should verify on
> her/his own.

It is a bug which would make the package unsuitable for release, and as
such severity important seems to fit quite well.

As for the data loss, it could most definitely be argued that this bug
should have a severity of grave, not important..

grave
  makes the package in question unuseable or mostly so, OR
  CAUSES DATA LOSS, or introduces a security hole allowing
  access to the accounts of users who use the package.

I even uppercased the relevant words..

It does not specify /how/ it causes data loss, but its questionable,
however, it does seem clear that this is clearly at least a severity
important bug.

So please, drop this thread..

Zephaniah E, Hull.