Re: Configuration Management - Let's start

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 04:56:20PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> We've been discussing the configuration management for a while now.

Hmm, I must have missed that. Was there any discussion on HOW to do it? I only
saw discussions IF we should do it...

We must find a way to run postinst-script non-interactively without putting
too much work on the shoulders of the maintainers. And we should add a
control-entry if the package supports autoconfig. If not the configuration
should be deferred.

> I think it is about time we slowly begin moving towards working out
> the final details and start some coding. For now this would mean
> creating a new mailinglist to work these out, and from that start a
> team to do the work.
> Anyone agree?

Fully agreed. I would very much like configuration management for Debian. I am
sys admin in a computer lab at university. Currently I have to use SuSE - I
hope this will change as there a LOT of problems with that distribution. For
example they have a package shadow without shadow support compiled in. And
that's not a joke...

I am not sure how much I can volunteer/help because I am currently very busy.
This is why my package (mosml) is still not available. I hope I will have the
time this weekend. If not I will install it over christmas.