Re: Project leaders - qualifications

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 11:54:22AM -0800, David Welton wrote:
> Competence with the English language (more languages are better - it
> seems as if there are a lot of German speakers on the list:-).  I
> don't think anyone so far has any problems with this.

I believe my comprehension of the English language is pretty good, at
least the American Generic dialect of it.

> Speaking experience.  Ability to get up in front of an audience and
> give an interesting talk.  Both Bruce and Ian had/have experience with
> this.

I've had some, but almost all of it impromptu speaking as I explained
before.  I'm pretty good at this I think.

> Ability to go to conferences.  This includes time and financial
> ability.  I guess that some conferences probably pay for some or all
> of the fees, but there are always incidentals...

This is the only point you raise that is even potentially an issue for
me.  I can't travel to each east-coast conference which pops up, and not
even every west coast conference for that matter.  As many know I have
recently moved and my finances are still settling from that.  I will be
able to attend some conferences after things have settled a bit more, but
not for a couple of months yet.

> Like I said, these arent't essential, but I'd be curious what the
> candidates have to say about their abilities and qualifications in
> this area.

Public speaking is an important issue I think.  The leader needs to be
able to nudge the project along from time to time, but I think the leader
is most importantly a visible representative of the project as a whole.
Being able to represent the project in public forums is important.

I don't think attending conferences is as big an issue as it might seem.
it seems to me attendance is a good thing, but I don't feel it is or
should be an obligation.  That said, I'll attend as many as I can leader
or not just because they're _FUN_..  =>

--
"You're despicable."  -- Daffy Duck