Re: Which version of dpkg before library upgrade to slink?

Previously joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:
> On 9 Dec 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> >   And broke bash.
>
> I'm sorry, if that makes you feel better about it ;-)

That is a new one for me. If you know exactly what you did to produce
that bug (or even better, can reproduce it) please file a bug with
a sufficiently high severity (grave sounds reasonable, breaking bash
is *bad*).

> > I take it back.  Somewhere in there netstd got "upgraded", and now telnet
> > is gone.
>
> Join the club of complainers.  No, better still, figure out a general
> method to solve issues like the splitting of telnet and telnetd.

If you use dselect that would not have happened. If you use dpkg manually
or apt-get we can assume that you know what you are doing and can prevent
this. Unfortunately apt-get makes it a bit too easy to make this mistake,
but future apt UI's will stop this from happening.

> The best approach that I can come up with is to have an intermediate
> package netstd that provides both future packages, followed by a version
> that no longer provides both, so that when the intermediate package is
> upgraded, it will automatically cause the new package to be "upgraded"
> from a virtual package to the first real version

That doesn't work, since you having to depend on the virtual and new packages.
But since the new telnet packages have priority standard dselect already
installs them by default.

BTW, anyone know why netstd still seems to be compiled with ncurses3.4?

> > Ok, I got it, but these splits are going to cause trouble...
>
> Hmm, yeah, probably :-(

I can only imagine the bugreports when people discover that xterm suddenly
got its own package...

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl