Re: Which version of dpkg before library upgrade to slink?

Joost writes:
> If you are daring and gifted with bandwith just do a dist-upgrade with
> apt.  It should work well and if it doesn't, that's probably a reason to
> postpone the release of slink until hamm can be smoothly upgraded
> automatically using apt.

I don't have the bandwidth for a dist-upgrade, but I just tried to upgrade
to libc6 2.0.7u-7.1 from libc6 2.0.7u-4 with apt-get.

  And broke bash.

I'm fairly sure that the version of bash that broke was the one in hamm
(sorry I didn't think to take careful notes...).  I was able to recover by
linking sh to ash, downgrading to hamm versions of dpkg and libc6, and
starting over.  Everything is working now.  "Segmentation fault" is not
something I like to see during a libc6 install.  If it is worth doing I'll
try to figure out a safe way to test this.

I take it back.  Somewhere in there netstd got "upgraded", and now telnet
is gone.

Ok, I got it, but these splits are going to cause trouble...
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)