Re: Uploaded lilo 21-1 (source i386) to master

In article <8790ghnyse.fsf@mail.usyd.edu.au>, Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:
> Adam Di Carlo <apharris@burrito.onshore.com> writes:
>> Martin, Bernd is right.  What you did is package hijacking.  It's not
>> acceptable.  Please, please, don't abuse this or we'll have to add
>> "bureaucracy" in order to stop maintainers from doing this!

> Yes, it was wrong, and I have apologized to Bernd, and I shall take
> corrective action after I hear from him.

> However I do ask that you look at my other message to Bernd on the list and
> take a look at the circumstances. He hadn't uploaded a release in over 2
> years (as far as I could tell) and there are 32 bugs, of which none has
> been addressed recently. It was not my intention to hijack a package, this
> is a priority important package that I wanted to see better maintained.

Yes, I understand your feelings.  You must take your case up with the
maintainer, and this list, before doing this.

I put some guidelines for NMU'ing in the as-yet-unreleased developer's
reference, at
http://www.debian.org/~elphick/manuals.html/developers-reference/.
See especially Chapter 6.  Beware, though, massive changes are still
pending, mostly from conversations with Porters -- ( James Troup
convinced me porters deserve their own chapter! )