Re: Which version of dpkg before library upgrade to slink?

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> I'm running hamm and want to make potato packages.  I am current
> downloading:
>
>   libc6 libc6-dev libstdc++2.8
>
> from slink.  Before I install them, do I need to upgrade dpkg?  I recall
> seeing a mention of that somewhere.  I'd like to avoid creating a system
> without a working dpkg.

If you are daring and gifted with bandwith just do a dist-upgrade with
apt.  It should work well and if it doesn't, that's probably a reason to
postpone the release of slink until hamm can be smoothly upgraded
automatically using apt.

If unsure, just download the newest dpkg (and dpkg-dev probably?) as well
and install them all together in one dpkg run, like so:

  dpkg -i libc6 libc6-dev libstdc++2.8 dpkg dpkg-dev

That way, dpkg can't be broken by one package while needing the other to
get "unbroken."

My system is up to date (or at least as far as yesterday counts) and all
the newest versions of the above packages work without apparent breakage.

Cheers,

Joost