Which version of dpkg before library upgrade to slink?

I'm running hamm and want to make potato packages.  I am current
downloading:

  libc6 libc6-dev libstdc++2.8

from slink.  Before I install them, do I need to upgrade dpkg?  I recall
seeing a mention of that somewhere.  I'd like to avoid creating a system
without a working dpkg.

Anything else I need to upgrade (apart from libraries my packages depend
on?)

Thanks
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada