Re: Do we know why Incoming->archive takes so long?

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 03:33:07PM -0500, Scott Ellis wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Oscar Levi wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there policy/wisdom about mirroring Incoming?  Is there any reason
> > > why not?
> >
> > I believe ftp1.us.debian.org:/debian/Incoming is still mirroring the
> > incoming directory (at lease it appears to be doing so now).
> > ftp.debian.org doesn't mirror it for several complicated reasons.
>
> Incoming should be part of the main archive, and mirrored by everyone.  Do
> we have something to hide?

Files in incoming haven't had their PGP signatures checked yet, so it may
be possible to introduce a trojan file.  In addition, Incoming is
generally too volitile for the daily mirroring of ftp.debian.org to do
much good.  The files aren't hidden, just not mirrored across the entire
network of archives, when they'll just have to be copied again when moved
to their correct locations.  There are a few other incoming mirrors (llug
has one), I just don't recall all of them.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/