Re: [jem@sunsite.unc.edu: metalab (formerly known as sunsite) debian mirror]

James A. Treacy forwarded a message from Jonathan Magid <jem@sunsite.unc.edu>

> Because we're currently ultra-short on disk space, we've had to
> temporarily remove our mirror of the Debian distribution. Although I know
> this is an inconvenience for many people, we currently don't have the
> space to carry the full distribution. We'll return to our previous status
> once we get some more disk space on the server.

I'm sorry that you were hit by the enormous size to which Debian has
grown to.  Since I'm hit by a similar problem every once in a while
I can fully understand you.

However, I hope you have added a README or .message file in the proper
directory so people notice that the mirror has temporarily been shut
down and where they should get the distribution instead.

Btw. do you have any traffic/access data?  I'm just curious how
important the SunSITE mirror was/is.

As a workaround you could try to keep only the current stable
distribution around instaead of a full mirror.  This would be
1/4 of the size of the entire archive.

I'm looking forward to seeing the archive back at SunSITE.

Yours,

	Joey

--
No question is too silly to ask, but, of course, some are too silly
to answer.   -- Perl book

Please always Cc to me when answering on the lists.