Re: ppp and ip-up.d, ip-down.d

*- Kenneth MacDonald wrote about "Re: ppp and ip-up.d, ip-down.d"

>     Marc> As you see, ip-up and ip-down export $PPP_OPERATION which is
>     Marc> either "up" or "down" and proceed to call run-parts
>     Marc> /etc/ppp/ip.d.
>
>     Marc> This way, matching procedures being done at the beginning
>     Marc> and/or end of a PPP connection are beautifully integrated
>     Marc> into a single script which is IMHO easier to maintain and
>     Marc> less error-prone.
>
>     Marc> It is entirely possible that I am particularly stupid and
>     Marc> have failed to notice a major design flaw in my idea. I'd
>     Marc> really like to hear your comments.
>
>     Marc> Any hints and/or comments will be appreciated.
>
> This doesn't allow for services to be stopped in a different order
> from which they're started, unless you have scripts which only operate
> on an "up" or "down" PPP_OPERATION, thus giving you two scripts for
> each service again.

How about having a ip.d directory that has the actual scripts(similiar
to init.d) and then directories ip-up.d and ip-down.d with S and K
symlinks to ip.d(similiar to rc?.d).  That way the order could be
changed.

This can be implimented with a minimal change to the ppp package setup.

update-rc.d could be modified to create an update-ip.d to serve the same
purpose for the ip.d scripts as the init.d scripts.

--
Brian
							   - unknown