Re: More problems for non-US?

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> What are the legalities involved in doing cryptography over telnet from a
> country where crypto is outlawed but on a computer who is in crypto-free
> country ?

AFAIK, this is a problem for people from the United States, for the same
reason why exporting the software itself is a problem.

Of course, it would be a lot harder to detect and obstruct US citizens
ssh'ing to a machine in a free country to work on software than to harass
them for making the software publicly available on a server.

> maybe we could provide such a crypto-host, so that all people without
> access to crypto software coudl do their signing there ?

I'm very much in favor of that, although I'm not sure if it would be wise
for all people to sign crypto software with their key, as this might
incriminate them in the eyes of their local regim^H^H^H^H^Hgovernment.

Cheers,

Joost