Re: Creation of nfs-client package

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 01:50:40PM +0100, Anders Hammarquist wrote:
<snip>
> The kernel server package contains kexportfs, rpc.kmountd, rpc.knfsd,
> rpc.kstatd, knfsstat and rpc.krquotad. The user server package contains
> rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.ugidd and showmount. Of these, rpc.kstatd should go
> into a client package. showmount and knfsstat (renamed nfsstat) should
> ideally be available on both clients and server (common package). There
> really isn't that much to split up.

ugidd is for the CLIENT end, not the server, though from where its put
it must have some use on the server end as well..

Its been noted that showmount can also be useful on the client end..

> > The idea is that for each main group of stuff (stuff which always goes
> > together) gets its own mini-package..
> >
> > ugidd being a very good example of this, for most cases it can even be a
> > security hole, however I use it on my internal network which is behind a
> > firewall..
>
> So don't run it then (IIRC it doesn't even start by default. It's been too
> long since I looked at the insides of the user nfsd packge though). To me the
> problem you are trying to solve (of selecting how the nfs server should run)
> is best left to the configuration of the particular package. Packages should
> IMHO be divided up along lines of functionality (ugidd is part of unfsd's
> functionality). Whether to use all functionality is up to how you configure
> the package in question.

ugidd does not work out of the box even after uncommenting the proper
lines because it needs to be started BEFORE you mount the NFS partitions
which is run quite early in the boot process, giving it a whole new
barrel of monkeys, added with the fact that it may be considered a
security risk by some it is a very good example of why things need to be
broken up...

And I'm sure people who use NFS more then I do can pick things apart
even more sadly, granted there will only be a small number of break
offs, but there do need to be some...

Zephaniah E, Hull.