Re: Draft new DFSG - r1.4

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 02:13:24PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Oscar Levi wrote:
> > Thus, the first question is whether or not we believe the DFSG needs
> > to be changed.
>
> Well I can agree with that!
>
> Could we put this to a vote?

Before this, I believe we need to discuss rules of order.  It is my
belief that the IETF has spent many years working on projects where
the participants live remote from each other.  I think that each
project has a chair and a mailing list.  The work is conducted on an
agreed time schedule, reviewed by everyone, and ratified by the group
before being submitted to the whole organization.  Anyone can join any
project by joining the mailing list.

While most of the work of Debian is conducted by individuals and
uploaded as packages, things like the DFSG that are fundamental to the
whole organization need to be reviewed by everyone who has an interest
in doing so.

Given this working model, and the apparent energy present on the
d-devel list about the DFSG, how do those following this discussion
feel about starting a meta discussion regarding groupe projects?  This
is important because the IETF has build an organization around this
process.  I think we need to look at the whole of their enchilada
before we attempt to reproduce their effort.