Re: DFSG2: Why we need clear guidelines, not woolly ones

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 07:08:51PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Several people have complained that the DFSG2 are too legalistic or
> hard to interpret.  Frankly, I'm flabbergasted.
>
> We have spend endless hours here on -devel arguing about whether
> such-and-such a stupid restriction counts as `discrimination against
> fields of endeavour'.  Surely noone can deny this ?  This is one of
> the problems I'm trying to solve.

Ian is correct in asserting that we need a tighter definition of what
DFSG means. Most people aren't concerned with the details, though,  and
either method below will satisfy their needs.

A preamble can be written which summarizes the document that follows.
It is important that it be clear that the more precise text that
follows is the actual license.

An alternative is to write an overview document that states the
main points of the license and contains links to the relevant section
of the actual license.

What is the distinction between these? Preambles are short and attached
to the formal document. The second would be separate and could be longer.

Jay Treacy