Re: Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software

Dale Scheetz writes ("Re: Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software"):
> My position stems from the fact that the copyright is the author's legal
> authority to license the copyright material. That authority extends over,
> and only over the material, as written by the author.

The last time you said this I followed up - see below.  Did you read
that posting of mine ?  Do you still claim I'm wrong ?  If so I'll
find my references.

> We do not consider software as non-free when the copyright demands an
> unchanged copy accompany any and every copy of the copyright software.

Huh?  I think you missed a word.

> Ian is concerned because the original author can then incorporate those
> changes into a new version, released under a completely closed license,
> and effectively "steal" the work of the community for their own gain.

No, I'm not concerned about that.  The DFSG2 allows that (and the
DFSG1 may or may not).

If we want to forbid that we need to think a bit more, but I don't
think we do for the reasons you quote.

> While the need for patches for modification causes some logistical
> problems, we should never seek to simplify those logistics at the expense
> of freedom.

This is a red herring.

Please see my post below (and my recent other post about the patches
clause).

Ian.