Re: Trust in the Debian Build Process

Marc Singer <elf@netcom.com> writes:
>...read errors on the system drive corrupt system binaries until
>unexplained errors are noticed by the operator.
>
>The first step to a solution is to sign or checksum the system
>binaries.  ITO that this is quite easy.  I'm planning to start with a
>checksum, test it, and then add signing.

Doesn't the debsums package do most of this already?

		    - Jim Van Zandt

Package: debsums
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 20
Maintainer: Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.0
Replaces: debmake
Depends: dpkg-dev
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/utils/debsums_1.0.deb
Size: 4166
MD5sum: f58b8bdb7e23743957fca3f01ddd092a
 This package contains instructions and the tools for having packages
 generate md5sums for all their files as also done by the debstd
 script of debmake. The package also contains a script to generate
 md5sum files for debian packages which do not install an md5sum
 file. The md5sum will be generated after the package is installed by
 invoking debsums_gen.
 .
 The package also allows comparing the md5sums in a .deb file with the
 current installed files by extracting the md5sums file from the .deb