Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

On 02-Dec-98, 20:51 (CST), Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> one issue that this proposal seems to ignore is that the status
> information may be relevant at the time of install, but may be
> irrelevant six months later.
>
> if package 'libfoo' is automatically selected because i installed
> package 'foobar', and i later write a program in /usr/local which makes
> use of libfoo, then how can that be kept track of?

As the proposal stated (or at least somewhere in the thread -- maybe
you missed it), you would be able to unset the "Auto" bit.

> like i said, i think that tools to generate a report listing
> "unused" (as far as dpkg/apt can tell) packages is a good and useful
> thing.....but automatically removing those packages would be a bad thing.

If the only info to go for automatically removing the package is that it
doesn't have any other packages depending on it, then yes, automatically
removing them would be a horrible idea. That's why the additional status
information was desired. The only thing that can set this information is
dselect/apt (with user override).

> another key point:  i'm not the one writing the code, so my opinion is
> just an opinion.  whoever writes the code gets the last say :-)

As always. And it's not going to be me, so I'll shut up now.